Free Web Hosting Provider - Web Hosting - E-commerce - High Speed Internet - Free Web Page
Search the Web

Past Ballparks
Current Ballparks
Future Ballparks
Ballpark News
Ballpark Cameras
Seating Charts
Attendance
Ballpark Merchandise
Ballpark Comparisons
Ballpark Wallpaper
Ballpark Experiences
Feedback
Advertising 
Site Map/Index

Ballpark Store

Bottom of the Sixth Poster-Click to Buy!
More Ballpark Items

Hilltop Park
New York, NY

Opening in 1903, Hilltop Park became the New York Yankees first home. The team that moved into Hilltop Park was originally the Baltimore Orioles

who played at Oriole Park. In 1902 the Orioles were sold to Joseph Gordon, Bill Devery, and Frank Farrell for \$18,000. They decided to move the team to New York City. A site for a ballpark was chosen near the Hudson River. Over \$200,000 was spent excavating the site which the ballpark was built on because it was very rocky. Opening Day came on April 30, 1903, when the New York Highlanders played the Washington Senators (The ballpark was originally known as American League Park, but was renamed Hilltop Park soon after because the ballpark sat on high ground). However, the ballpark was not in good condition when it opened. Their was a swamp in right field, that had yet to be filled with rock, the outfield had no grass, the grandstand had not been completed, and players had to dress at their hotel rooms because the clubhouse was not completed. When Hilltop Park was finally completed, a single tier wooden covered grandstand extended from the third base dugout to homeplate, and around to the first base dugout. Uncovered grandstands extended to both foul poles. From behind homeplate, fans could see scenic views of the Hudson River and New Jersey Palisades. After Polo Grounds burnt in 1911, the New York Giants moved into Hilltop Park. The last game played at Hilltop Park was on October 5, 1912. The next year, the Highlanders moved into a rebuilt Polo Grounds along with the Giants, and were renamed the Yankees. Hilltop Park stood until 1914 when it was demolished. The site remained vacant until Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center opened in 1928.

Hilltop Park Facts

Tenants: New York Highlanders & Giants-Capacity: 16,000-Surface:  Grass-Construction Began: 1903-Opened: April 30, 1903-Closed: October 5, 1912-Demolished: 1914-Cost: \$75,000-Dimensions: 365-L, 542-C, 400-R (original & final)-Architect: Unknown

     View from the first base grandstand. Looking toward homeplate.     
Click to Enlarge Pictures
Have any pictures of this stadium? Send them in and get credit!

NEXT BALLPARK

                                                               

Copyright 2001-2002-Ballparks of Baseball is not affiliated with Major League Baseball in any way, or with any team mentioned. No part of this page may not be reproduced without permission from Ballparks of Baseball. This site is best viewed with Microsoft Internet Explorer. Report any problems on this site to the webmaster: problems@ballparksofbaseball.com